Everyone had been telling me lately that I needed to pick up this book and I recently caved in and bought myself a copy. As I started I was a little hestiant though because I wasn't really relating to the main character, Gemma. Luckily, about half way through I found her to be a bit deeper and more real.This is actually the first Libba Bray book I have ever read and can now say that I love her writing style. She makes things seem so real and vivid, that you cannot help getting wrapped into her world. I definitely need to dive into my copy of 'Beauty Queens' very soon.
I really enjoyed how much of a roller coaster this was while I read it. At times it broke my heart, especially parts with Gemma's mother, while the next scene was still mysterious and suspenseful. The characters definitely make this story though, it is very character development driven. I also loved that it took place in London, somewhere I have always wanted to travel to and every time an author describes it makes me want to jump on a plane.
There were a couple of aspects that I didn't enjoy as much though. One of those being the pace, like I mentioned above. I loved the ending of the book but felt it was very slow getting there. There were also scenes and things that the characters did that I found very repetitive, something that felt me wanting a big plot change. Luckily the end did deliver on that though, I just wish that it started a bit earlier.
Overall, I did enjoy this book and have picked up the second book in the trilogy to dive into, hopefully, soon. If you enjoy the typical YA historical fiction with aspects of paranormal, I would definitely say give this a go. [:
Overall rating: 3.5 / 5 stars

























0 comments:
Post a Comment