Click Here For Free Blog Templates!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Sunday, October 30, 2011

'The Demon Trapper's Daughter' by Jana Oliver

Length: 340 pages (paperback)
Publication Date: February 1, 2011
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Source: library
Overall rating: 3.5 / 5 stars

The biggest thing that really stood out to my in this book was the unique, and often very messed up, world that Oliver decided to put her characters in. Although I would have loved more information about how the United States got to that point, I really did love the creativity she put in with the demons. I have never really read a book that was so centered around demons, but found it very refreshing and new.

So the main character is Riley and Oliver sets her up so well in the beginning that you cannot help but feel for her. I don't want to give away any spoilers but will say that Riley's life seems to suck in some way, all the time. I loved how she had such a tough exterior but still showed emotion about everything that was going on.

Another character I really enjoyed was Beck. He was a great 'older brother' type of figure, but although he is often tough on Riley, my heart went out to him as well because of everything he had gone through. Although I will say that this accent is a bit hard to get used to at first, but luckily a third of the way in I was able to go with the flow of how he spoke.

When I first picked this up, I assumed it would be an action packed adventure because of the demon's that have in a way taken over and changed everything. But, it actually wasn't really like that. Instead it was more of a character driven story, rather than a plot driven story. At first I was a bit hesitant about that, but as the story continued I really started to like it for what it was. It also was a bit slow at times, but luckily it wasn't that way for long stretches of the story.

I also really apprepricated how much thought and detail Oliver used for the demons. Instead of being one as a danger, there was a great variety, each with their own quirks and personality. My favorite definitely were the biblio-fiends. [:

Overall, I definitely did enjoy this novel but will say if you pick it up for a demon filled, action packed book, you may be a bit disappointed. Instead it is more of a character and relationship driven story. Although that may change in future books, something I will definitely be finding out.

1 comments:

Amanda @ On a Book Bender said...

Beck's accent really bothered me too, and I felt like it was jarring considering he was about the only character to talk that way. His accent could have been mentioned, then left to us to imagine.

Post a Comment