Click Here For Free Blog Templates!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Thursday, February 13, 2014

'Insanity' by Susan Vaught


Length: 384 pages
Publication Date: February 18th, 2014
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Source: Netgalley.com
Overall rating: 3 / 5 stars 

This mystery/thriller story takes place in Never, Kentucky and is about a girl named Forest, a foster-kid working at a state mental institution. Things start to turn strange with unstable patients, underground tunnels, and when dead family members start to appear.

I really enjoyed the setting of this story, it adds a very creepy feel to the book. As you read this story you can really tell that Susan Vaught has a lot of knowledge about mental health and mental illness, an aspect that I really appreciated. I also often felt like I didn't know what was going to happen, the story was very suspenseful and intriguing for me.

One aspect that I wasn't the biggest fan of was the multiple perspectives. The story more than once switch perspectives right as I was getting invested in the character, which it times was frustrating. I also thought there could have been more distinction of when the perspective switched.

About half way through I also started to get the backstories of the characters a bit confused and they started to blend together. I think the characters needed to be developed more, since there were multiple, because after I finished they didn't really stick with me. The beginning of the story, which focused on Levi, definitely created an eerie atmosphere but at other times it did fall flat for me.

Overall, I did enjoy reading this story and found it to be a unique YA novel, but I would have loved to see more character development. I often felt like we weren't getting straightforward answers to important questions, which did leave me confused at times. If you are interested in reading a creepy, eerie YA novel, I would recommend trying this one out.


**An ebook copy of this book was provided by the publisher via netgalley.com in exchange for my honest thoughts, opinions, and overall review. I received no compensation for this review.

0 comments:

Post a Comment