Publisher: Dutton
Source: library
Overall rating: 4 / 5 stars
Many of the reviews I have read in the past few months on this one having been comparing it to Anna. Many people seem to compare the two and often results in which one they liked more. Although they are both contemporary YA stories, I felt they were extremely different and that it is worth reading both.
So instead of comparing the two, I am just going to focus on what makes Lola a great stand alone book. First off there is Lola, an amazing individual and unique character. She is so quirky and confident, but still manages to be relate-able through her insecurities that come out towards the end of the story.
And then there is Cricket, the perfect boy next door that comes back into Lola's life when she least expects. I loved the development of the friendship of these, especially since things weren't left on a good note when they last saw each other. It felt very realistic and how things may plan out in the real world.
In addition, I really enjoyed the family Perkins put together for Lola, they were all very strong characters that didn't start to mesh together. Lola's family life was also a big part of the story, something that was refreshing to see since many YA books focus so heavily on the romantic relationships.
Lately I have been loving books where the main character is discovering who they are and what that means for their relationships. Lola was no exception and left me wanting more from Perkins. I highly recommend Lola to YA readers, especially those that enjoyed Anna. I personally enjoyed Lola and her story a bit more since it felt a bit deeper and realistic and feel that most contemporary fans will connect with Perkins' story.
Check out my review of 'Anna and the French Kiss' by clicking here!
Tuesday, January 10, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


























1 comments:
yeah I am so excited to read this. I haven't read 'Anna and the french kiss' though
Post a Comment