Click Here For Free Blog Templates!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Thursday, January 16, 2014

'The Edge of Never' by J.A. Redmerski


Length: 426 pages (paperback)
Publication Date: November 15, 2012
Source: bought own copy
Overall rating: 2.5 / 5 stars

This book follows the story of 20 year old Camryn Bennett who wants to get far away from her life after an unexpected night out with her best friend. Camryn decides to broad a Greyhound bus, with no destination in mind, in hope of finding herself. Along the way, Camryn encounters a lot of people, including a guy named Andrew, with a mysterious background himself. 

I really enjoyed the road trip aspect of this story and how Andrew and Camryn's paths crossed, as they both are not trying to get back home soon. One of my favorite aspects of books that involve traveling is the setting and imagery that an author has the chance to work with and when done well can really paint a vivid picture for the reader. At times I felt J.A. Redmerski did this well, but I would have loved to see it more consistently, rather than just flashes of it. They travel through a lot of states that I didn't feel were captured very well.


I also enjoyed the character development and depth we were able to see, it really made Camryn seem real and help the reader understand where her insecurities came from. Camryn was far from a perfect person and her struggles through the book were mostly handled realistically.

Unfortunately I did find the story to be quite predictable and stereotypical of a romance, which made the first half of the book often boring for me. There weren't a lot of unique plot points in my opinion and even the ending revelation, which is supposed to be a big reveal, felt very predictable and like taking the easy way out in explaining Andrew's behavior.


In addition, I did not appreciate how aggressive and controlling behavior came off as a redeeming quality. Initially it seems that Andrew just wants Camryn to trust him, but later on it feel controlling to me when she had to do anything he told her to do. I am also not personally a fan of constant, repetitive use of 'baby' and 'babe' especially when the main characters have only known each other for a week or two. This may not bug most people, but it just stuck out to me all the time and felt like it was in every other line Andrew said.

Overall I think this would appeal to readers looking for a New Adult romance to read, but unfortunately wasn't my cup of tea. I plan to try some more New Adult in the future though, so hopefully I will find something a bit more my taste.


1 comments:

Elle (Lost in Wonderland) said...

I particularly enjoyed this book. But I do agree that the plot was quite predictable at times and I also personally don't like the use of 'babe' or 'baby'. I don't even use it in my own life when I speak to people haha and it just feels weird when characters say it to each other, especially as you said when they haven't known each other that long. Great Review!

Post a Comment