Click Here For Free Blog Templates!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

'Cinder' by Marissa Meyer

Length: 387 pages
Publication Date: January 3rd, 2012
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Source: bought own copy
Overall rating: 4 / 5 stars

Once I heard that this story was a retelling of Cinderella, but in a dystopian/sci-fi future, I knew this book was for me. The storyline follows Cinder, a cyborg that lives in New Beijing, as her society is threatened and the truths she learns along the way. I really enjoyed the uniqueness of Meyer's story and loved how strong of a character Cinder was throughout the book, as well as the almost steampunk feel it had to it. 

I really enjoyed the overall experience of this book, it was written in a way that was descriptive enough to get the reader absorbed in the story, but also developed the main character, Cinder, very well. At times I did feel that Prince Kai could have used more development and depth, so I hope we get more of the the next books. He didn't really feel very unique of a character to me, but luckily Cinder stood out enough for me that it didn't lessened my enjoyment of the story.

I think one of the strongest elements of the book was the world that Meyer created. As I read it, it didn't necessary stand out as amazing to me, but looking back I really appreciate the history she pulled in. Elements like the plague and history rulers really helped me understand how things get to be where they were.

I did feel as though the overall story was pretty predictable though. With it being a retelling of Cinderella, certain elements are going to be easy to predict, which at times made me not as surprised with plot turns. The cyborgs, robots, and other sic-fi elements were a nice twist on the story though. I felt the ending of the book was very strong though and left me wanting more.

Overall I definitely did enjoy this story and plan to continue on with the series. 'Cinder' wasn't the most action packed book ever, but I feel it is a great world building first book in a series, leaving me with high expectations for book two, 'Scarlet.'

1 comments:

Aly said...

I totally agree. I think Meyer's world building is one of the best parts of this series. I was lucky enough to read Cinder and Scarlet and Cress and I love the over aching story as well. I totally get what you mean about the predictability of retelling too though, when I was reading I was impatient trying to figure out the two stories align and when stuff would happen in Cinder, I was like okay, so when is the next thing going to happen. I'm not usually into sic-fi but I really quite enjoyed Cinder.

Post a Comment