Click Here For Free Blog Templates!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Friday, September 16, 2011

'Cold Kiss' by Amy Garvey

Length: 336 pages (hardcover)
Expected Publication: Sept 20th, 2011
Publisher: HarperTeen

“It seemed so right. Danny was mine, I was his, and that wasn’t going to work if he was dead. So I would make him not dead, not anymore. I didn’t think any further than what it would feel like to kiss him again, to wrap my arms around him and bury my head against his shoulder.
That was my first mistake. It also turned out to be the biggest.”
- excerpt from Goodreads

'Cold Kiss' follows the story of Wren, who possesses paranormal abilities, which lead her to bringing her boyfriend back from the dead after she loses him too soon. That is where the story starts, so don't worry, that isn't a spoiler.

One thing that I really liked about the set up Garvey used was the fact that when you start reading, the big paranormal event has already happened and you really get to focus on the characters and development of relationships. At first I thought this would be a straightforward paranormal romance like so many others out right now. But I was wrong.

Instead, this story is heavily focused on Wren and the aftermath of what she has done. Yes, it definitely has paranormal aspects to it, but it definitely doesn't overshadow the characters and development within it. It really is more of a story about pain, acceptance, and letting go of a first love.

I loved how you are there through all the heartbreaking ups and downs and really get to see the development of Wren's understanding of what she has done. It gave a realness to the story that you cannot help but go on the roller coaster of emotions with her.

The only thing that felt me a little unsatisified was with the family back stories that created so much tension through the book. I absolutely love when authors pull in a back story that affects the present, but was still a bit confused with the story about her dad. At first I thought that it may be a cliffhanger to the next book, but I believe it is a stand alone book.

I think this book would really appeal to the contemporary fans out there that still enjoy some paranormal from time to time, but aren't a fan of how they sometimes don't dive deep enough into characters and issues that form. Overall, I really enjoyed 'Cold Kiss' and recommend getting your hands on it when it comes out later this month.

Overall rating: 4 / 5 stars

5 comments:

JessiM said...

I totally agree that this read like a solid contemporary-paranormal cross where the latter didn't overshadow everything. It definitely wasn't exactly what I was expecting! Great review. :-)

Anna @ Literary Exploration said...

I'm really excited to read this one :) I've heard a lot of good things about it! Awesome review!

Kristin (Book Sniffers Anonymous) said...

This book does sound interesting. I am glad to hear that it was a pretty good book .
Book Sniffers Anonymous

Skye (In The Good Books) said...

Great review! I really loved how the paranormal aspects weren't the major focus.

Unknown said...

Oh, I love it when a book is primarily contemporary, but still has some paranormal elements.

Great review!

Post a Comment