Length: 455 pages (hardcover)
Publication Date: April 30, 2013
Publisher: Mulholland Books
Source: bought own copy
Overall rating: 3 / 5 stars
This story follows Cormoran Strike, a private investigator. After the dead of his sister, Lula, John Bristow contacts Strike, wanting him to investigate her death because he doesn't not believe it was a suicide. This mystery/thriller centers around Strike's investigation, as he hopes to reveal the truth of the model's sudden death. Like most people, when I heard that the author of this was J.K. Rowling, I knew I had to have it.
My favorite aspect of this novel was definitely the writing. I knew that I would enjoy reading more from Rowling, but hadn't realized how much I had missed it. The writing is beautifully descriptive, I was able to picture everything she wrote.
Although I did enjoy the overall plot of the story, I didn't necessarily feel it was very unique. There are a lot of mystery/thriller novels on the market and I didn't feel like the storyline stood out from others (except for the writing). For anyone who has read mysteries before, they will likely be able to figure out the ending of this one. I figured it out about 150 pages from the end, which left the ending not as exciting as I hoped it would be. It was nice to see the ends tied up though, since I wasn't able to see how everything fight together.
I enjoyed how this was a mystery but also a character study of those in Lula's life. The reader got to see great characterization and depth to the characters as Strike continued to investigate. Unfortunately, with a lot dialogue heavy books, like this, it can get a bit boring at times and not as action packed as I hoped it would be. Strike's conversations with Lula's friends/family often started to feel repetitive, sometimes not revealing much at all about Lula or her relationships.
Overall I thought this novel was just okay for a mystery/thriller. It felt a bit boring at times for me, but I am definitely glad I read it. For those of us that love Rowling though, I definitely think it is worth the read.
Friday, January 24, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




























2 comments:
I have been curious about reading this for a while now but it just haven't picked it up yet. I haven't seen anyone extremely excited about it so I think I'll wait a little longer to read it.
I haven't read this one yet, but I am dying to. I love Rowlings writing. I think that's what I am most eager to experience again (I also haven't read The Causal Vacancy yet). It's to bad it wasn't as suspenseful as you would have liked.
Thanks for the review,
~Sara @ Just Another Story
Post a Comment