Length: 335 pages (paperback)Publication Date: June 2, 2009
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Source: library
Overall rating: 4 / 5 stars
'Unwind' follows the story of three teens, Connor, Risa and Lev, who are running for their lives. The story takes place in a future society where having an abortion is not an option, instead a child can be 'unwound' (think organ donor on purpose) between the ages of thirteen and eighteen. The three characters have been sent to be unwound, each for their own reasons, and we get to follow their story as they try to find a way to survive.
I am going to start my review with the characters. I really enjoyed how each of them had a different back story and emotional ride that they went on. I found Lev to be the most interesting to see develop, since he was born as a tithe and how he had been raised to see being a tithe as a blessing. His story was very emotionally and deep, that I couldn't help but forgive him for his missteps..
I also really enjoyed the world that Shusterman created because even though so much had changed in America, he still left recognizable parts that made it more realistic, as if something this drastic may be in our future. Although our society will probably never reach the point of 'unwinding' a child, he still makes it completely realistic and believeable, it didn't feel like sci-fi.
The only small issue I had with this book came with the first half pacing. At times it felt a bit slow in the beginning for a story about chaos. A big setting aspect and part of the story comes later on and I wish we got more of that storyline and the crazy back story that was pulled in.
I have heard some things about a possible sequel to this, but honestly hope there isn't. I thought the ending was perfect and although there could definitely be more to this world, I hope it stays how it is.



























2 comments:
i've heard some really interesting and great things about this book, and i have it super high on my tbr. like, really high. unfortunately my library doesn't have this book so i'll just pick it up some time whenever i get the chance. but i like that you liked it too, enough to give it 4 stars. :)
Nice review. :) I agree that a sequel would probably not be a good idea, but I'd probably still end up reading it!
Post a Comment