Click Here For Free Blog Templates!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Saturday, July 9, 2011

'Unearthly' by Cynthia Hand

Lately I had been hearing a lot about 'Unearthly' but at first was a little unsure if I wanted to pick it up. I eventually did end up borrowing it for my library and dug right into it. It is definitely a pretty long book so I knew summer was the perfect time to pick it up.

This book follows the story of Clara, who recently found out that she is part angel. I really connected to Clara and found her to be very realistic. Another aspect I really appreciated in this book was the location/scenery that Hand described so well and made me feel a part of the story and as if I was there.

The one thing that I didn't enjoy about this story was how the first half of it moved very slow and almost nothing big really seemed to happen. Character and plot development is such a huge part of a story, but when it extends so far into the story, I start to get bored. The big plot and resolution of this book only happened in the last 50 pages or so and even that part wasn't that surprising or eye opening.

Overall, I did enjoy the characters and concept of the book. (Team Tucker!) But, I was left a bit unsatisfied when it came to the resolution. This is only the first book in the series (or is it trilogy?) so I probably will pick up the next one next year and see where she plans to take the story, but for now I am not dying for it to come out sooner.

Photo credit: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7488244-unearthly
Overall rating: 3 / 5 stars
Recommend for: YA paranormal fans

2 comments:

Myranda said...

I am team Tucker too! I felt like it ended really fast? But I still loved it. :D

Megan said...

This is a trilogy and I agree that the ending as kind of abrupt. I love Tucker but I really hope the next book will example at least half of the unresolved issues from the end of Unearthly.

Post a Comment