'The Complete Maus' by Art SpeigelmanRating: 4.5 / 5 stars
This is an amazing graphic novel memoir about the narrator and his father, as the father tells his experience during the Holocaust. I really enjoyed the father/son relationship depicted in this graphic novel, not only did it capture what the father went through, but also how Art deals with the story and this interactions with his father. Although painful to read about, this story was very powerful. The fact that it was in graphic novel form was very interesting to see, the illustrations definitely brought the story to life. Although hard to read at times, I thoroughly enjoyed this story and would recommend it to anyone.
'Anya's Ghost' by Vera Brosgol
Rating: 4 / 5 stars
This story follows Anya who is in need of a new friend. After falling down into a well, that is exactly what she gets, but this friend has been dead for a century. Anya is embarrassed by her family and doesn't have a lot of friends, so initially a ghost friend seems pretty cool. I really enjoyed reading Anya's story, I really appreciated the family elements that Vera pulled into the story. I also really loved the illustrations in this graphic novel and the universal themes and lessons that it presents. I would definitely recommend this to readers who are new to graphic novels, it is a fun, engaging story with a relatable character.
'Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood' by Marjane SatrapiRating: 4 / 5 stars
'Persepolis' is a graphic novel memoir about the author's childhood and growing up in Iran during the Islamic Revolution. I loved the variety of characters we get introduced to in this story, they are all very unique and different from each other. They really capture the differing outlooks people had during the Islamic Revolution. I loved how such a serious topic is covered through the innocence of a child, she often caught on to things that her parents didn't. Overall, I found this graphic novel to be an amazing original and honest story, with a heartwarming main character that even though she is frustrating at times, is still a very strong, intelligent protagonist.
Let me know your thoughts on any of these graphic novels below, as well what graphic novels you would like me to review in the future! :)



























1 comments:
Excellent choices to start you off on graphic novels ^_^
If you're looking for recommendations, you should look into Solanin, Saga (this one's kinda explicit), Boxers and Saints, and Gunnerkrigg Court ^_^
Post a Comment