Click Here For Free Blog Templates!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Friday, October 21, 2011

'Elixir' by Hilary Duff

Length: 327 pages (hardcover)
Publication Date: October 12, 2010
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Source: bought own copy
Overall rating: 3 / 5 stars

'Elixir' follows the story of Clea, a girl that has been in the spotlight her whole life but also recently lost her father. Things start to get strange when an unknown man continues to appear in photos she has taken. Realizing he is never really right in front of her, Clea starts a huge adventure to find this man and see who he is.

So I had a copy of this on my shelf for quite awhile but for some reason wasn't ever what I wanted to read. I had heard some pretty good things about it and finally decided I needed to get it off my to be read pile. I went in not expecting much because I am always a little hesitant to read an actor's first book. I could be wrong, but most probably don't grow up wanting to be an author and work on their book for years. But, since I have always been a fan of Hilary Duff, I wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt.

Luckily I was pleasantly surprised. I was a bit worried it would be a flat story with not much in terms of plot twists and surprises, but it didn't disappoint in that area. I liked the main character Clea, she was relatable but I feel she could have been developed more. Usually I feel for characters and can get in their mind set, but for Clea it was more of a one dimensional view.

I enjoyed the overall storyline, it wasn't similar to most of the novels in YA. I thought one aspect was a bit cheesy, but won't say what since it would be a spoiler to the development of the story and characters. I apprepreciated how the book left me often on edge about Sage, I didn't always know if he was a good or bad character in relation to Clea. I did like the pacing of the story, mainly since it did give some back story that helped strength why and what was going on.

I did feel as though the end was quite rushed and kind of just hit a brick wall. It was left definitely room for sequels but instead of a cliffhanger it felt more like there wasn't enough pages or something. As I read it, I didn't know it was a series and that did affect my opinions in negative way. But now that more will come, I am going to give this book an average rating.

2 comments:

Ashley Delgado said...

I'm so glad to hear that Elixir wasn't bad! I bought it when the paperback version came out, since I didn't want to spend $20 bucks on a book that I wasn't sure I would like. I'm always really hesitant when it comes to celebrities writing books with co-authors or ghost-writers, because who knows how much the celebrity REALLY wrote, right? And I've been putting off reading it. But if you gave it 3 stars, that's good enough for me. :) I'll definitely be picking it up soon. Great review!

Paige said...

Awesome review! I read Elixir last summer and i loved it i can't remember what i gave for a rating but if you want to check out the review its here

http://paigebradish1996.blogspot.com/2011/08/my-review-of-elixir.html

Post a Comment